Friday, September 08, 2006

0.557215 664901 532860 618112 090082 39

The Euler-Mascheroni constant (aka γ) is my new favorite number. Lots of people memorize &pi and e to some ridiculous number of digits, but I think &gamma should take its rightful place in the pantheon of cool numbers. It pains me to see that if I google &pi or e I get those numbers, but searching "gamma" does not return 0.55721566490...

The title of this blog, of course, is not &gamma itself, but Mascheroni's 32-digit calculation of &gamma (1790), which until now (I believe) has been missing from the vast store of "knowledge" which is the world wide web. I went to the library so you don't have to.

Why can't you find it elsewhere? Because the calculation has errors! 侘寂! [Wabi-sabi]

PS: for now, it's also on Wikipedia because I edited the history section of the Euler-Mascheroni constant. But who knows how long that will last?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

After I followed the link, I am in total agreement - we need to raise public awareness of how cool this number is. - Raj

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home